Fedora Core 3 (exiting the GUI desktop)

Christopher J. Bottaro cjbottaro at alumni.cs.utexas.edu
Wed Mar 9 19:24:45 UTC 2005

Richard Humphrey wrote:

> startx

Ehh, if he's using the method that Jim Lawrence suggested, then he didn't
actually exit X (the GUI), he just switched to a "text" terminal.  He can
switchback to the X terminal by typing ctrl-alt-f7 (or f8 or whichever one
it was running on).  Someone already mentioned this earlier on the list.

Now if he really exited X by doing ctrl-alt-backspace or "telinit 3", then
startx will start a new X session or X server or whatever the terminology
is.