Access Point problem Solved!

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Wed Mar 9 23:20:53 UTC 2005

Scot L. Harris wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 17:19, Claude Jones wrote:
>

>>	Two NICS: eth0 is WAN 209.249.226.25  	eth1 is LAN
>>192.168.2.0/255.255.255.0
>>
>>Bad diagram: Laptop via wireless---> AccessPoint ----> inside NIC
>>on Linux box ---> Routed by Linux to outside NIC which is on
>>broadband direct to the internet.
>>
>>Question: If my laptop is getting a 192.168.2.1-255 subnet address
>>via DHCP from the Linux machine, and the Linux Lan is set to
>>192.168.2.0/255.255.255.000, how is it that the AP which,
>>presumably is assigned to a different subnet able to pass traffic?
>>This is what I don't understand.
>>

>The AP is acting as a transparent bridge.  The problem may be that the
>APs address is 192.168.0.50 per the documents.  Make sure you configure
>your laptop for 192.168.0.52 or something in that same subnet and as the
>instructions say use a direct connect wire for this.

Thanks, Scot. You pointed me in the direction of the one obvious thing I
hadn't tried. I reconfigured the hardware NIC in the laptop to the same
subnet as the AP and connected right up when I plugged the AP cable
straight in to the laptop. I changed its address to be consistent with
my subnet and then put everything back. Now, I can see the AP from my
Linux box and all is well. Thanks to all.