Backup & restore of FC3 partition/disk?

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Wed Mar 9 23:54:35 UTC 2005

On 9 Mar 2005 at 10:10, Max L. Eidswick wrote:

> This is a resend of this earlier message “ I could not find it or any replies in the archives ¦
>

> Hi, All “ I have FC3 on a removable disk in my ThinkPad a31p (a 60GB). I need to use that disk
> for some other testing and do not want to lose my FC3 setup. I am sure it is not using more that
> 15GB and I have an extra 20GB that I would like to use for FC3 instead.
>
> Is there any EASY way for me to backup my FC3 disk/partition and restore it on another disk?
> The first disk is larger, but the target disk is large enough to handle the FC3 space used ¦
>
> Thanks,
>
> Max L. Eidswick

A couple of options that I know of. G4U or G4L can be used to make
a backup of the drive/partition to an ftp server. They also have
options to copy from disk to disk, if in the same machine without the
ftp server.

A couple of quick notes, both programs copy all sectors of the disk,
so it makes a huge difference if you zero out the unused sectores
before doing the backup.

G4U uses gzip.
I've got a modified version of the G4L that has the original gzip, and
bzip plus lzop compression. (lzop in my configuration takes about
1/2 the time of gzip, and is about 15% larger, so it is a trade off).

The updated iso images are on my college ftp site with a pdf if
anyone is intersted.
ftp://202.128.73.29

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net