How to check if I got some package installed?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Thu Mar 10 00:16:03 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 18:49, Leandro Melo wrote:
> So, to check for some package I could just make
> rpm -qa|grep <desiredpacknage>
> But then I got another question.
> Sometimes I got confused by distros stuff. Please correct my sentence.
> All softwares (libraries) I have in my system are in the form of "rpm"
> because Fedora is a red hat based system, right?
> Is that way I can assume that if I got something installed in my
> system, it's installed under a rpm form, right?
> Thanks.

Fedora systems can use RPM exclusively for package management.  You may
want packages that are not in RPM format.  In those cases you would
typically get what they call a tarball, normally a file with a tgz
extension or tar extension.  You unpack these in a directory and then
run ./configure, make, and make install.

But anymore most packages are available via one of the many repositories
on the Internet.  You use yum, up2date, apt-get, or synaptic to install
packages from these repositories.  They all use rpm as the underlying
tool for handling the packages.  The good thing with these tools is that
they handle the package dependency problems for you, installing other
packages that you need for the package you are installing.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

Always do right.  This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
		-- Mark Twain