FC3 Security

Jeff Kinz jkinz at kinz.org
Thu Mar 10 01:03:27 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 11:05:58AM -0800, Rick Stevens wrote:
> I think you'll find that the definition of a server _machine_ is a
> machine that, as its _primary_ function, provides various services to
> clients.  Its primary purpose is NOT to provide interactive sessions
> such as a desktop environment.  Remote management of such a machine
> (e.g. ssh or webmin) does not count.

Rick, this is exactly the delineation I was trying for.  Thank you.

> Server _processes_, on the other hand, are processes that wait for
> clients to connect, performs some task for that client, and then
> eventually terminates the session.

Further nailing this down, whenever I've heard IT people using the
colloquialism "server" without a qualifying "machine" or "process"
following, they were always referring to a machine.  Unless the IT
person adds the word "process" or "program.. etc" to "server"
it is reasonable and expected that the "server" unit being referred to
is a machine.

(Yes, for software architects the usage can be/is different.)

--
"The only system which is truly secure, is one which is switched off
and unplugged, locked in a titanium lined safe, buried in a concrete

http://kinz.org
http://www.fedoranews.org