FC3 Security

Rick Bilonick rab at nauticom.net
Thu Mar 10 05:51:13 UTC 2005

Jason Powers wrote:

> Sorry to hear of your trouble, Rick. We have a larger scale but similar
> situation here, we run the lan but not the routers, dhcp or dns, which
> makes things a little difficult when we want to run terminals and such,
> and there's no way we can run anything accessible from outside. Sad
> thing is we own all the hardware, too, just let someone else manage it
> (in return for free bandwidth. Oceans of free bandwidth).
>
> I think that if you are doing this on your own, at your own or your
> grant's expense, I would look into grabbing some hosting at a place like
> openhosting.com. It's enough of a linux box for most of your needs and
> it won't piss off the admins, and you're not paying the $100+ it would
> run you for a whole dedicated box.
>
> On the whole Alexander nailed it, you'll never get to run your own
> router or anything on that network. They have the IPs, they make the
> rules, and one IP per machine is not unreasonable.
>
> While we're talking about it, be careful not to turn the bridge
> connector on in your laptop, either. The router spots the packets and
> shuts it off like it was a router. We've already run into this about 5
> times with visiting scholars.
>
> Jason Powers

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. I already have the
computer. How can I use hosting if I can't connect to the network? They
won't let be connect to the network whether I run ssh or not on the
computer. It would be impossible to do the project without the computer
being connected to the network. I have lots of software to install and
then data to download.

Rick B.