FC3 Security

Rick Bilonick rab at nauticom.net
Thu Mar 10 06:13:58 UTC 2005

Pat Pleate wrote:

>In defense to the IT support persons that "seem intent
>on preventing ...",  this is like walking into
>someone's house and saying that you want to add your
>own setup, use their electricity, phone line for a
>modem, etc. in their house without asking.
>If these IT Support persons are THE support for the
>place you are working, it only stands true that you
>need to work with THEM.  THEY are more than likely to
>be the ones who are providing the IP number for the
>range they are provided by the University.  THEY are
>the ones who are probably activating the data jack
>ports.  There are many Depts. in a University that
>have their own support (like ours), and when someone
>comes in and demands something, like they own the
>place, that doesn't make good PR.  Additionally, THAT
>Dept. sets the standards of what THEY support and will
>support.  If you choose to go outside that support,
>than it only stands to reason that they will tell you
>that they will not support you if you have any issues.
> The University is the fallback support.
>Just because a person CAN do something because they
>have the capability, doesn't always mean that one
>SHOULD do it.  Here's an example: I CAN drive through
>a stop sign, but SHOULD I really do that?  I CAN buy a
>new <insert name here> computer that is not supported
>by said Dept., but SHOULD I?  Do you choose to not get
>reliable support, or do you have to find someone else,
>wasting your valuable, University fund-generating
>time?
>If you think outside the box and put yourself in the
>shoes of the persons who do the support, you may
>understand.
>I deal with this all the time, and will work
>willingly, and happily, work with a PHD-person if they
>reciprocate.
>

>--- David Curry <dsccable at comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>Rick Bilonick wrote:
>>

>>>Unfortunately, the data center IT dept. consists
>>>

>>only of a couple of
>>

>>>individuals who seem intent on preventing me from
>>>

>>doing my work. They
>>

>>>were very irritated that I bought computer
>>>

>>equipment without
>>

>>>consulting them and that I contacted the
>>>

>>university IT people. (The
>>

>>>university IT have no concerns about me connecting
>>>

>>my computer. I had
>>

>>>no problem getting an IP address from them and
>>>

>>they will sell me a
>>

>>>port if I want one.) Why they care is beyond me
>>>

>>since I'm not funding
>>

>>>them through my grant so any "help" they would
>>>

>>give would be at their
>>

>>>expense.
>>>
>>>Thanks for your thoughts.
>>>
>>>Rick B.
>>>

>>Rick, consider the possibility that allowing you to
>>proceed would, to
>>the data center people, be THE step on to the
>>proverbial slippery
>>slope.  Precedent (hole in the dike) can be a
>>dangerous thing.
>>
>>--

> [...]
No, the university has made it quite clear that they own the network and
control IP addresses. My sin is that because a lack of office space, my
office was located in the data center. The data center IT people have no
intention of helping or cooperating. Their solution would be for me to
let them install Windows XP on the machine and they would control ALL
aspects (even down to the screen resolution). I would not be able to run
the software I need to run but that  doesn't really matter to them.

Rick B.