What goes in /etc/hosts?

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Thu Mar 10 07:03:17 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 06:45 +0000, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> On 03/09/2005 05:56:28 PM, Brian Fahrlander wrote:
>

> >     I use a simple way to get around this: Everything in 192.168.1.*
> > has
> > a name like aquila.fahrlander.local, and my webserver is both
> > www.fahrlander.net (on the outside) and pip.fahrlander.net on the
> > inside.
>
> Does using .local (opposed to a real TLD) require anything special if
> you are using caching nameserver instead of /etc/hosts to define those
> things?
>
> I don't think it should, but I'm curious.

    Since it's fictious, it's life in /etc/hosts is assured.  Where I
use a caching nameserver, I just create a .local zone like any other,
and tell all the other machines to check with this server before
consulting anyone/anything else.  It just works.

    I dreampt up this scheme one day when someone explained to me the
concept of 'reserved' IP segments, and how they differ from real names,
yet realizing every interface has SOME address.  It's so easy to think
the 'reserved' numbers could get the same names as those you can
actually reach.

    It's every bit as legal as .butterscotch, but it really works for
me.

Ever notice that blue states have more taxes, higher cost of living,
more pollution and violent deaths and more unhappy people?  Why is that?
Brian Fahrländer                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ: 5119262                                          AIM: WheelDweller