Permission to Mount

Mark Sargent powderkeg at snow.email.ne.jp
Thu Mar 10 07:58:56 UTC 2005

Jack wrote:

> Chris LaForce wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>   Since going to Fedora Core 3 when I click on "Disk Management" I get
>> the error "There are no filesystems which you are allowed to mount or
>> unmount. Contact your administrator."
>>
>>   How do I give myself permission to mount devices?
>> Thanks,
>>

> % man usermount
>
> "When the tool starts up, it scans /etc/fstab for all filesystems that
> have been configured to allow users to mount and unmount them.
> When run as root, usermount displays all of the entries  in  /etc/fstab
> rather than just the ones with the user option."

Hi All,

I find this really stupid. To have something in a menu that doesn't
allow you to do anything. If it is not a function for that user, it
shouldn't appear in the menu at all, period. Quite silly really, as it's
misleading because up till FC2, it could be accessed via input of the
root password. Cheers.

Mark Sargent.