Creating shortcuts

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Mar 10 08:04:40 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 22:14 -0300, Leandro Melo wrote:
> Hi.
> I've installed a program under /usr/. So, when I want to start this
> program I go to the /usr directory and executes the program like this
> ./myProgram.
> How can I create a shortcut to this program and place it on my
> desktop, so I could start this program just by clicking over it's
> icon?

Other people have answered your question regarding shortcuts, but I
thought I'd mention that if you're installing non-RPM software on to
your system, the best place for it to go is /usr/local/bin, not /usr
(ideally, /usr/local would be a separate partition too, so that you can
do a fresh install of the system, completely discarding the contents
of /usr but still keeping /usr/local the way it is). Putting things
in /usr runs the risk of them being overwritten by a subsequent
installation of an RPM-based package (which almost invariably install
into /usr).

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>