resizing partitions for FC3 install..

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Thu Mar 10 08:31:21 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 08:44 -0800, bruce wrote:
> the machine is a server, with gnome/vnc. i'd like to do an upgrade to FC3
> over the RH/FC2 that's there.. yum left me with a hybrid mess!!
>
> it looks like i can use 'parted' to cobble together an approach to resize
> the partitions. but i'd still like to know what a 'good' partition table
> should/would look like. the table for this system was put together as a
> guess...
>
> should there be separate partitions for usr/var/home or should you simply
> have one '/' partition, or does it really matter... the machine is going to
> be used for developers creating code/running some basic apache/mysql apps...
> but nothing in a production environment..

If this is a development server, I would build it exactly the same way
as for a production server. So I'd use LVM (so that additional disk
space can be allocated to fileystems if needed), separate volumes
for /tmp and /var that can be mounted with "noexec and nodev" options
for security, and of course SELinux. This way, your developers would
find out quickly if they tried to do anything that might be disallowed
by the security regime on a "production server".

If you're using mysql, you might want a substantial partition for /var,
since that's the default place for the databases to be stored.

Your disk appears to be 18-20G, partitioned as follows:

/boot 100M
/usr   12G
/home 4.5G
/     500M
swap  ????
/var    1G

This is not a bad arrangement for what you want to do, assuming 1G
for /var is sufficient for your needs. So it boils down to whether
you're prepared to do a fresh install, blowing away the existing
partition table and going for something like:

/boot 100M
swap  ????
an LVM physical volume using the rest of the disk space
  /usr       9G logical volume
  /home      4G logical volume
  /          1G logical volume
  /tmp       1G logical volume
  /var       2G logical volume
  /usr/local 1G logical volume

or you could just do an upgrade of your existing machine and keep the
partition table as it is.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>