This List and Threading

Bob Chiodini rchiodin at bellsouth.net
Thu Mar 10 12:34:12 UTC 2005

All,

I've been on this list for some time now but lately it seems that the
mail is no longer threaded properly.  That is, the replies to some
messages create new threads in my client (Evolution 2.0.4).  A lot, but
not all of the mail that should be threaded comes from Microsoft clients
(shame on you :-)) and do not have the information in the header that
evolution seems to need for threading.

Evolution is not threaded by subject, but by the In-Reply-To: or
configuration option to thread by subject.  It had to be hand edited.  I
do not think this exists in Evolution 2.0.x.

Am I the only one seeing this?  Do I have something configured
incorrectly.  BTW:  FC3 both x64 and i386 architectures, both Evolution
2.0.2 and 2.0.4 exhibit this.

Thunderbird seems to thread by subject.

For instance, in Evolution, the thread entitled "Yum problems for
fedora-extras...." has the original message and one reply from Paul
Howarth in the thread, but there are four more unthreaded replies from
"Irving, Dave".  The four replies from Dave Irving (through MS Exchange)
do not have In-Reply-To: or References: entries in its header, but do
have Thread-Topic: and Thread-Index: entries.  The Thread-Topic: is the
subject of the original posting.

In Thunderbird the original message and all of the replies are in a
single thread.

Bob...