Permission to Mount

David Jansen jansen at strw.leidenuniv.nl
Thu Mar 10 12:44:29 UTC 2005

On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 04:58:56PM +0900, Mark Sargent wrote:
> I find this really stupid. To have something in a menu that doesn't
> allow you to do anything. If it is not a function for that user, it
> shouldn't appear in the menu at all, period. Quite silly really, as it's
> misleading because up till FC2, it could be accessed via input of the
> root password. Cheers.

For me usermount seems to work exactly the same in FC2 and FC3, it gives
a list of mount points configured with the user option in /etc/fstab
The main difference between FC2 and FC3 is that FC3 with udev doesn't
need many of these, removable media work just as well from the
"Computer" window.

However, I agree that it might be a nice addition to have a menu entry
for usermount running as root, one that prompts for the root pw and
allows all disks to be mounted and unmounted.

David Jansen