FC3 hang on boot, X fail, mount problem, media check inconsistency

Rick Chen rick.chen at optusnet.com.au
Thu Mar 10 15:08:06 UTC 2005

On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 01:13:16PM +0000, Dave Jenkins wrote:
> "However media check on CDs
> burnt from disc 2 & 3 ISOs failed: tried 5 burns in
> all. I then tried mounting the ISO files as loop and
> comparing with the CD contents using "diff -r". This
> produced no diffs between any of the ISO images and
> their corresponding CDs, even the 5 CDs that had
> failed the media check."

this is media check out
try "linux mediacheck ide=nodma"

> Problem (2):
> FC3 install appeared to work but system consistently
> hung on boot. It would get as far as:
> "Initializing hardware... storage network audio done
> [OK]"
> Then the screen would blank for a second, come back,
> show:
> "Configuring kernel parameters"
> and then just sit there. Not locked up, but going
> nowhere.
> This happened consistently after reinstalling in
> various configurations, except that a minimal install
> booted OK.

have you check your hard disk before?? Recently my corrupted
hard disk caused me to reinstall my time!

> Solutions tried to (1):
> Following advice on other threads here, I tried:
> a) disabling ACPI in BIOS,
> b) appending "noapic" to boot command
> c) appending "apci=on" to boot command
> d) appending "apci=off" to boot command
> I also tried (c) & (d) with "acpi" and "apic" as I
> wasn't sure which was correct.
> None of these made any difference.
> I then randomly tried:
> e) removing "rhgb" from boot command.
> This fixed the hang, and led me to...
>
> Problem (3):
> X failed to start, with error "No valid modes found".
> Preceding this in the log was a long string of
> messages where it had tried numerous modes and
> rejected them all due to hsync allegedly out of range.
> The installer had correctly identified the VGA &
> monitor (Iiyama Pro 410). I haven't got any further
> with this because of...

try run your system with a liveCD such as Knoppix it got
great hardware detection. And also provide you with idea
about your system configure. Then use the configuration
for your fedora setting.
> Problem (4):
> I was getting bored with continually re-trying Fedora
> installs followed by re-installing RH 8.0 so that I
> had a working machine to browse for help and generally
> do stuff. I only have one machine. So I installed RH
> 8.0 on my 6G drive where the FC3 ISO files were,
> temporarily moving the ISOs to the 80G drive. However
> when I try to mount the Fedora partition from RH8.0 to
> copy the files back, I get an error: mount says "wrong
> fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda2, or
> too many mounted file systems" and syslog says:
> "EXT3-fs error (device ide0(3,2)):
> ext3_check_descriptors: Block bitmap for group 0 not
> in group (block 1868783461)!"/
> "EXT3-fs: group descriptors corrupted !"
> Same happens if I try to mount as ext2.
> I had allowed the FC3 install to choose the
> partitioning. Was that a mistake? fdisk says:
>    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id
> System
> /dev/hda1   *         1        13    104391   83
> Linux
> /dev/hda2            14      9729  78043770   8e
> Linux LVM
> Can RH 8.0 read a "Linux LVM" filesystem? If so, how?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help. I'm the sort of Linux
> user who's in it for the stability rather than the
> hacking, so if your honest advice is "Fedora's not for
> you, try another distro", that would count as help!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dave
Sorry! my knowledge is limited. Hope can help you