Issues configuring wireless card- laptop

jim lawrence fedorajim at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 15:14:11 UTC 2005

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 13:38:43 -0800 (PST), Appeet <appeet at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Appeet <appeet at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > but unable to browse intranet / internet.
> >
> > I have a dell inspiron 700m. I downloaded the
> > firmware
> > and driver for my laptop and installed. I could see
> > the signal strength (noise/signal ratio) and all
> > other
> > networks when I access via KWifiManager.
> >
> > The driver and firmware details are as follows :
> >
> > ipw2200-1.0.0.tgz
> > ipw2200-fw-2.2.tgz
> >

> > My wireless card (internal)details are as follows :
> >
> > Network controller : Intel Corp. PRO/Wireless
> >
> > But I am unable to browse my wireless network (even
> > though wifi manager says good strength)
> >
> > When I try to do system-config-network I get the
> > following error / warning. What am I possibly doing
> > wrong ?
> >
> > Warning: Device eth1 has been comiled with version
> > 17
> > of wireless extension, while we are using version
> > 16.
> > Some things may be broken...
> >

> > I configured my wep key on the network configuration
> > manager by selecting the profile and editing it and
> > going into wireless settings (of wireless device
> > configuration)
> >

> > Appreciate any help to resolve this issue.
> >

> I tried to update to 1.0.1 but still keep getting the
> same warning
>  Warning: Device eth1 has been comiled with version
>  17 of wireless extension, while we are using version
>  16. Some things may be broken...
> When i do the config.
>
> I followed the direction provided in one suggestion
> and tried setting it up as infra / adhoc. Both face
> the same problem, I can see the network, signal
> strength is excellent, but cannot see computers on
> inter/intranet.
>
> Any ideas will greatly help. I can give some
> diagnostics if you tell what to run and provide.
>
> regards,

you know there are  rpms out there for this wireless device.  Atrpms,
freshrpms has the ones you'll need.
second, do you have a keyboard key-combo to activate the wireless?
do a su -
iwlist scan  will show any AP's availible to you
iwconfig  will show if you are associated with any access point

since  kwifimanager shows a connection i'll assume that your rfswitch
is correct.

try a ping -c4 your routerip address

if you use gnome, type in NetworkManagerInfo
you'll then get a sweeping radar  searching for a ap.
see http://www.fedoranews.org/contributors/jim_lawrence/network_manager/
 about NM

see bugzilla to search
http://www.bughost.org/bugzilla/query.cgi