resizing partitions for FC3 install..

Deron Meranda deron.meranda at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 15:38:32 UTC 2005

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 07:16:00 -0800, bruce <bedouglas at earthlink.net> wrote:
> paul,
>
> wouldn't it be possible to:
>
> 1) expand my '/' partition using parted/bootdisk
> 2) reboot/capture the new partition information
> 3) do a fresh install, now using LVN, but still maintain the
>    partition structure, and thereby maintaining the current data/files
>    on the drive

No.  Think of LVM as creating a virtual hard disk (which is
called a *volume group*), and then you create virtual
partitions within that (call *logical volumes*).  The thing is
that the LVM volume group itself must reside in a real
partition.

So on a fresh install, select parittion with Disk Druid.  Then
create TWO real partitions on your hard drive,
  hda1 - ext3 /boot
  hda2 - LVM volume "VolGroup00"

The reason that /boot lives outside the LVM partition is that
grub doesn't know how to read LVM groups.  Also, if you
dual boot with say Windows, and shared FAT32 partitions
would also have to remain as real partitions outside LVM.

Then hit the LVM button and create ALL the other "partitions"
inside your LVM group, such as,

  VolGroup00/LogVol00 - ext3 /
  VolGroup00/LogVol01 - ext3 /var
  VolGroup00/LogVol02 - swap
  ...etc...

Really, the easiest way to convert your current system is to add
a second hard drive.  Format it wil LVM.  Copy your old filesystems
over to the new logical volumes.  And then afterwards you could
reformat your original hard disk and extend your LVM to include
the other hard drive and then increase the sizes of everything.
...Or, just save your important files (burn to CDROM?) and do a
fresh install, picking LVM this time around.
--
Deron Meranda