FC3 hang on boot, X fail, mount problem, media check inconsistency

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 10 18:19:20 UTC 2005

Dave Jenkins wrote quite a bit:

Well done: you've got a long way without help.

> Problem (1):
> MD5 sum and installer's media check on my FC3 CD ISO
> image files all passed. However media check on CDs
> burnt from disc 2 & 3 ISOs failed:

Probably just a known installer bug. You've been told how to fix this.

<snip>
> Problem (2):
> FC3 install appeared to work but system consistently
> hung on boot. It would get as far as:
> "Initializing hardware... storage network audio done
> [OK]"
> Then the screen would blank for a second, come back,
> show:
> "Configuring kernel parameters"

You've been having X problems. Removing rhgb (which you've done) delays
X starting.

<snip>
> a) disabling ACPI in BIOS,
> b) appending "noapic" to boot command
> c) appending "apci=on" to boot command
> d) appending "apci=off" to boot command
> I also tried (c) & (d) with "acpi" and "apic" as I
> wasn't sure which was correct.

Either, in appropriate situations. ACPI is the newer power saving
standard, APIC a way of distributing interrupts between CPUs on a
multi-CPU machine.

> Problem (3):
> X failed to start, with error "No valid modes found".
> Preceding this in the log was a long string of
> messages where it had tried numerous modes and
> rejected them all due to hsync allegedly out of range.
> The installer had correctly identified the VGA &
> monitor (Iiyama Pro 410). I haven't got any further
> with this because of...

Either boot to run level 3 (add a " 3 " where you removed "rhgb") or
press Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get to a command prompt. Log in as root. If you
have broadband set up, run
yum update x11-xorg
and wait. When that's done, run
startx >errors.txt 2>&1

If that doesn't work, or you don't have broadband available, run
system-config-display --set-driver=vesa
Then run
startx >errors.txt 2>&1
Either that should work (although you'll get an unaccelerated X desktop)
or you'll get an errors.txt file. Could we see the output of that?

Good luck,

James.
--
E-mail address: james | "If you make everything a life and death proposition
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | you're going to have problems.  For one thing, you'll