What goes in /etc/hosts?

Nat Gross natgross.rentalsystems at verizon.net
Thu Mar 10 19:21:09 UTC 2005

Alexander Dalloz wrote:

>Am Do, den 10.03.2005 schrieb Nat Gross um 18:02:
>

>>When you say append .local, is that referring to all machines on the
>>local net, or only to this one local host. In other words, for the other
>>hosts on the lan, do I also need to append .local?
>>

>>-nat
>>

>.local is an official TLD part for private address space. It does not
>cover only the single local host but can be used for your whole LAN,
>i.e. kitchen.homearea.local, floor.homearea.local,
>mediaserver.homearea.local, ... So if you use fully qualified host names
>in your LAN, not only short names, either with just plain /etc/hosts
>files or your local DNS server, you can use .local as the TLD suffix,
>which will not collide with any public name space.
>
>Alexander

So, if I understand it correctly, .local is just an agreed upon
protocol. It's NOT something that *any* software translates to meaning
'the local lan'. I might just as well use kitchen.homearea.kerrybush,
floor.homearea.kerrybush. (Why kerrybush? Sure to be unique! :-) )
By the way, can't I [in most cases]  just get away with short names for
a local lan?
Thanks;
-nat