FC3 hang on boot, X fail, mount problem, media check inconsistency

Dave Jenkins iamaluddite at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 10 21:01:53 UTC 2005

Thanks James & Rick for your help & suggestions.
Details below...

--- James Wilkinson <james at westexe.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Dave Jenkins wrote quite a bit:

I did, didn't I? :-)

> > Problem (1):
> > MD5 sum and installer's media check on my FC3 CD
> ISO
> Probably just a known installer bug. You've been
> told how to fix this.

Yes, thanks Rick for the ide=nodma tip, all CDs now
pass.

> > Problem (3):
> > X failed to start, with error "No valid modes
> found".
> yum update x11-xorg

What worked for me was:
rpm --install
/usr/share/doc/fedora-release-3/RPM-GPG-KEY
rpm --install
/usr/share/doc/fedora-release-3/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora
yum update xorg-x11

> and wait. When that's done, run
> startx >errors.txt 2>&1

Same as before: X failed, rejecting all modes because
hsync out of range. It was using the via driver.

> If that doesn't work, or you don't have broadband
> available, run
> system-config-display --set-driver=vesa
> Then run
> startx >errors.txt 2>&1

Ta-da! This did the trick. That's great, I now have a
useable system to work on, hopefully no more rebooting
or reinstalling! So my next task is to figure out why
the via driver rejected all those modes. I'll get
googling; if anyone happens to have experience of this
problem or the S3 UniChrome VGA, any tips would be
warmly welcomed.

Thanks again,

Dave