What goes in /etc/hosts?

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Thu Mar 10 21:18:45 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 14:12 -0500, Neal Becker wrote:
> fredex wrote:
>
> My machine is assigned by dhcp, is in a private IP corporate space, with a
> corresponding domain (not .local).  Should the machine name be set to FQDN,
> or just short version?  I noticed that if in system-config-network I choose
> to manually set machine name to FQDN version, it doesn't seem to update to
> DNS server - but if I use short version DNS is updated - so it looks like I
> have to set machine name to short version.  Then it seems everything is
> working, including NFS.  I'm concerned though, because I though FQDN was
> preferred for hostname.

    Yeah, understand that FQDN is the 'whole' name...like your own first
AND last name.  Using the short name relies on /etc/hosts or DNS to look
up the long name to make it happen.

    When assigning the name, for example, in /etc/hosts, be sure to put
the IP address, FQDN, then aliases following that.  As far as I know,
this is a universal syntax for /etc/hosts.

    If it's being assigned by DHCP, you'll need to tell DHCP what the
name(s) are for the machine, that's all.

Ever notice that blue states have more taxes, higher cost of living,
more pollution and violent deaths and more unhappy people?  Why is that?
Brian Fahrländer                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ: 5119262                                          AIM: WheelDweller