More sendmail help? (Alexander Dalloz)

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Thu Mar 10 22:33:32 UTC 2005

Am Do, den 10.03.2005 schrieb William John Murray um 23:10:

[ DNS outpout looks proper ]

> >> I then tried using this, with or without [], and I get:
> >>
> >> relay=smtp.cs.com. [205.188.159.185], dsn=5.6.0, stat=Data format error
> >
> >I wonder if your sendmail is using proper domain names.
>
> Very possibly not. I am doing NAT on this box. The hostname is
> 'BASE.MURRAYDOMAIN'

So your ISP's smart host must either accept your mail based on the IP
you got or authentication data (SMTP AUTH). What does it require or what
is the policy? If you don't know you will have to ask the support.

> >Do you have any masquerade options set in your sendmail.mc?
> >
> Tried this and that. Never seems to make any difference at all.
> Is that suspicious? It was 'ipt.aol.com' for much of this. But removing
> it changes nothing. ctladdr is always root at base.murraydomain

Don't test as root! This is because of the general rule not to act as
root when you don't have to and especially in this case because root is
a special user for Sendmail. It is an exposed user and thus excepted
from masquerading.

>       Bill

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.10-1.770_FC2smp
Serendipity 23:28:47 up 1 day, 3:40, load average: 0.09, 0.17, 0.12