Gnome Help - Menus

WP Hewitt wphewitt at comcast.net
Thu Mar 10 23:32:13 UTC 2005

Since I am not positive what you are trying to do - heres a synopsis on
what I have learned about menu modification....

1 Go to /etc/xdg/menus
There you will find the skeleton for the menu specification.... It is a
series of files defining menus, application classes that should be
listed in the menu list and their hierarchy. Look at it a bit and it
should make some sense....

2. Go to /usr/share/desktop-directories....
There you will find the actual labeling for the menus (What you see on
the screen). This is where you put internationalization and the icon you
want associated with the menu/submenu/etc....

3. Go to /usr/share/applications
There you will find the application definitions - these control how the
application executes, the mimetypes it supports, the icon used, the
application class, etc, etc.....

As it was said earlier, it isnt pretty (at first), but if you work with
it a little bit, it isnt bad and is actually logical....
A nice front end to this would be nice, but I think it hasnt been done
yet for probably the same reason as no one has bothered to answer my
post about how to redefine gnome-vfs datatypes - no time :(

hope it helps....

WPH