Fedora mirror size

dan info at hostinthebox.net
Thu Mar 10 23:43:49 UTC 2005

lonnie at outstep.com wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I would like to become mirror for the Fedora download site am was
> wondering if someone cold please tell me an approximate site for:
>
> 1.) The whole core suite?
> 2.) The size of just Fedora 3 core, Updates, and Development
>
> Trying to figure out how much space that I would need on my server to make
> a mirror.
>
> Thanks,
> Lonnie

I was thinking of doing this myself.  Rather than limit the project by
only providing a certain amount of space, I was going to dedicate a
whole machine to the project.  Perhaps you should have the same thoughts?

I don't think it's "right" to be picky about what you'll mirror.  Sure,
the project would be very greatful of your contribution, but at the same
time, remember that not everyone uses FC3.  Some use FC2, and I still
use FC1 Legacy on a number of machines.

What I'd *like* to see eventually is someone who can put together a
server that contains all the RPMs that we can find for partiicular
releases, instead of having to append to yum.conf other repositories.
So basically we'd have one big motherload repository that contains all
the software in one central point.  Think of something like Freshmeat
doing a yum repository with all their software - that's what I'm thinking.

Just my $1.95.

Thanks
-dant