ipw2200: Unable to load firmware

Sergio Antoy antoy at cs.pdx.edu
Fri Mar 11 01:51:46 UTC 2005

Hi Jim,

Thanks for following up on this.

> Can you now get connected?

No.  After the failure to load the firmware, the eth1 interface is
not installed or is removed.  If I do an "ifconfig -a" eth1 is not
shown.

> if not trty the below    or see the bottom about NM
> as root  try these steps
>
> iwlist scan
> -->Do you see your Access Point ?

lo        Interface doesn't support scanning.
eth0      Interface doesn't support scanning.
sit0      Interface doesn't support scanning.

As you can see, no eth1.

If I boot with the wireless switch off, also the following line is
printed:

eth1      No scan results

> iwconfig eth1 essid <networkname> key <wep key if in use, if no key
> used dont use this part>
> ifup eth1
> iwconfig
> ---> Are you no associated?
>
> ping -c4 www.google.com
> --->do you get a reply?
>
> Also, if your using gnome  see
> http://people.redhat.com/dcbw/NetworkManager/index.html to start NM
> type
> service networkmanager start
> then as your user account
> NetworkManagerInfo

[root at antoy ~]# service networkmanager start
networkmanager: unrecognized service
[root at antoy ~]#

> Not sure if NM works in kde
> But if you can usse NM there is no need to start devices, stop devices  etc...
>
> As for the log  mine will sometimes do the same.  I leave the wireless
> activate all the time

Still stuck.  I think that there is something wrong with the firmware.
Since I was able to load it in the past, it is either the new kernel
or a new version of the firmware.  If I could load the firmware, I
could try the other things you suggest.

Thanks again,
Sergio