Fedora Desktop System Boot Time

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Fri Mar 11 07:03:55 UTC 2005

On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 01:47:32AM -0500, David Curry wrote:

 > microc-ctl (assuming non-intel system)

microcode_ctl in FC4 doesn't get enabled if you run it on
non-Intel, or < 686.

 > nfs, nfslock, netfs, autofs, xfs
 > pcmcia (if not a laptop)

You can get desktop PCI->PCMCIA bridge cards.
Theoretically we could grep lspci output for pcmcia
and only enable the service if we find something, but
this brings two problems.
- Docking stations. I think some older laptops only have
  PCMCIA when docked.
- If I added a PCI bridge after I did the install I'd need
  to manually enable the service. Ideally, something like kudzu/hal/whatever
  would reenable it when it discovers something new on first boot with
  the new hardware installed.

 > Apparently, each of the above programs can be eliminated from boot
 > startup by deleting the symlink files in /etc/rc.d/rc3.d & rc5.d.

chkconfig $servicename off is somewhat cleaner.

		Dave