Still no sendmail - but a clue?

Ian J. Kennedy ijkennedy at afblakemore.com
Fri Mar 11 09:02:06 UTC 2005

Hi Bill,

It's possible that AOL "firewalls" the port 25 connection for it's
Broadband customers. There are a number of Viruses and Trojans that will
run a SMTP server on a victims PC to send out Spam. AOL doesn't like that!

Have you tried editing the "SMART_HOST" line in sendmail.mc
It probably reads now:
dnl define(`SMART_HOST',`smtp.your.provider')
It needs to read the same as the smtp server you're using in Evolution,
probably:

define(`SMART_HOST',`smtp.aol.com')

This should send all "non-local" mail to AOL for delivery in the same way
as Evolution does. Note the ` and ' (left single quote and right single
quote) - they make a difference. Also remember than "dnl" - delete to new
line - is the sendmail version of a comment.

After you run make -C /etc/mail
try grep DS /etc/mail/sendmail.cf

You should get a line back DSsmtp.aol.com.

Assuming you do, restart sendmail and try again.