EMERGENCY - need to secure my server against an ongoing SPAMMER

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Mar 11 12:46:36 UTC 2005

Bob Brennan wrote:
>>The files in /var/spool/mqueue (and now also /var/spool/mqueue.spam)
>>begin with either "qf" or "df" (queue file or data file). There should
>>be one of each for each email. The rest of the filename is made up from
>>sendmail's queue tag for that message, which also appears in
>>/var/log/maillog.
>>
>>I want to see what's in one of the "qf" files for one of the spam emails.
>

> Those are the files I deleted in the last message exchange :-( in
> order to stop all queud message from going out.

If you followed the instructions I gave, they'd be in /var/spool/mqueue.spam

Did you delete that directory too? There may have been non-spam messages
there too.

Deleting this sort of stuff really is a bad idea because you've lost
some evidence of what's happened. So you don't know if a machine your
server trusts has been compromised, whether your server is a plain old
open relay, or whether your server itself has been compromised or
running a spam-vulnerable application. Without the evidence to reassure
yourself that it's only vulnerable to spamming and your machine hasn't
actually been rooted, you should assume the worst and do as Sam said -
reinstall from scratch.

 > I did however save the
> first and last rejection which contains header information - the bad
> new there (too) is that I saved them in a Squirrelmail folder and SM
> is now not responding without MySql running, although I didn't realise
> there was a dependency there(?).
>
> Having examined the headers I noticed the emails were coming from a
> (randomletters)@yahoo account and being sent to (randonletters)@yahoo
> and hotmail. The large bulk were in the queue undeliverable but it
> looks like at least a few hundred go through.

I need to see the full headers really. The addresses used are probably
irrelevant because spammers just forge them anyway. The interesting
thing to see is where the mail came from.

>>Try removing the lock file manually:
>>
>># rm /var/lock/subsys/mysqld
>>
>>This is probably a symptom of the problem rather than being the problem
>>itself though.
>

> I had already tried that trick - no difference, it just creates a new
> file when I try to restart.
> The error seems to be:
> /usr/libexec/mysqld: Can't find file: './mysql/host.frm' (errno:13)
> but I haven't tracked that one down yet

That file should be in /var/lib/mysql/mysql

You might have to recover it from your backups if it's no longer there.

Paul.