Fedora mirror size

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Fri Mar 11 13:33:11 UTC 2005

Chris Adams wrote:
> Most of the time, space isn't the issue; bandwidth is the limit.  I rate
> limit my server to 35-45 megabits per second (the rate varies over the
> day).  When a release rolls around, it'll peg that limit for a week or
> more.
>
> As for size: I mirror everything (except the debug packages) for i386
> and x86_64.  I only keep "current" releases (so I removed FC1 recently
> for example).  Right now, I see:
>
> 22817868  core/2
> 21012672  core/3
> 6984676   core/development
> 4         core/test
> 8451904   core/updates
> 3679096   extras/3
> 16        extras/development
> 31552     extras/testing
>
> I haven't decided if I'll add the PowerPC arch when it becomes a "core"
> arch (i.e. releases are built along side i386 and x86_64).  I probably
> will if I have the disk space.
> --
> Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>
> Systems and Network Administrator - HiWAAY Internet Services
> I don't speak for anybody but myself - that's enough trouble.

(HiWAAY is one of the mirrors listed in
http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html ).

We don't thank the Fedora mirror people enough. It's a thankless role,
nearly invisible to the end users when everything works properly, needs
huge amounts of bandwidth and (I imagine) quite a bit of attention.

Chris, can I take this opportunity to thank you, HiWAAY, and the other
mirror operators for the essential work you play in keeping Fedora
viable?

James.

--
E-mail address: james | Never meddle in the affairs of Windows NT. It is
@westexe.demon.co.uk  | slow to boot and quick to crash.