Local Repository FC3

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Mar 11 14:53:31 UTC 2005

Thiago Amaury Ferraz wrote:
> Hi;
>
> Thank's for the help!

Please send replies to the mailing list, not to me directly. You'll get
help from other people too that way.

 > I want to make a local place to download the upgrades
> from the Internet only one time.. and to upgrade my machines.. is it not a
> local repo? Is it a mirror?! I'm in doubt, now?!

It's both!

What you need to do is to create a copy of the FC3 updates directory
(http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/3/i386/
or a mirror of that directory - see
http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html for a list) on your local
machine.

There are a variety of ways of doing this, e.g. rsync, wget, mirror. Use
whichever you're comfortable with.

Then you need to set up a web or FTP server to serve out this content.
If your local mirror is on the same machine that you want to update, you
can skip this step.

Finally, you need to edit /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo to point
to the URL of your local repository. When you run yum, it should pick up
files locally instead of downloading them from the Internet.

Ask specific questions about each of these steps if you're not sure
what's involved.

You might find http://fedoranews.org/alex/tutorial/yum an interesting
article, though it's based on FC1 and so is a little out of date.

Paul.