Linux is so cool!

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Fri Mar 11 15:10:42 UTC 2005

Nils Holland wrote:
> Danger - the following is a bit off-topic!
>
> On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 14:50 -0700, Robin Laing wrote:
>

>>I have installed Open Office and Firefox [on Windows] which each required a reboot.
>

> Well, I'm not aware that Windows requires a reboot after installing
> Firefox, since a while ago I had to install it on a lot of NT boxes. If
> you also install Java, things might look different, though.

You could be right but after all the reboots I lost count.  Firefox
and Open Office were no's 3 and 4 of the installed packages after
anti-virus and updates which required reboots.

Thanks for the info on .NET as I was going to install it today as it
is required for one of the add-on's to the software that is making me
glad that I have short hair so I cannot grab it.  :)

I would like to see a side by side comparison of installing and
upgrading equivilant Linux and Windows XP boxes, including applications.

--
Robin Laing