Yum update mplayer

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Mar 11 15:21:39 UTC 2005

Robin Laing wrote:
> Paul Howarth wrote:
>
>> Bob Marcan wrote:

>>> [encijan ~]$ rpm -q xorg-x11-libs
>>> xorg-x11-libs-6.8.1-12.FC3.21
>>> from ftp://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/3/
>>

>> xorg-x11-libs-6.8.1-12.FC3.21
>> should not be as recent as:
>> xorg-x11-libs-6.8.1-12.FC3.21_1.rhfc3.at
>>
>> so an atrpms user should be getting
>> xorg-x11-libs-6.8.1-12.FC3.21_1.rhfc3.at as an upgrade, which contains
>> the libviaXvMC.so.1 library that the OP (an atrpms user) was looking for.
>>
>>> The next thing will be a new kernel at atrpms?
>>> Mixing this repos are a mess.
>>

>> Where's the mixing? Everything the OP needed was either an FC3 package
>> or available at atrpms.
>>
>> Paul.
>>

> I have said it in the past.  I have had these little(?) issues with
> atrpms.

I'm not an atrpms user myself. In fact I don't use any repos but [base],
[updates-released] and my own personal repo. Not even fedora extras (at
least not yet). So I've no particular axe to grind...

 > I don't doubt that Axel is doing what he does for a reason but
> for me, atrpms has been a headache.  Why does atrpms packages always
> require only atrpms packages to work?

The problem above is that the Fedora xorg packages don't build the
library needed; the atrpms version do include that library. Seems a
perfectly reasonable thing to do.

> Why couldn't I upgrade an rpm
> with a non atrpms without dependency problems?

If the updated package doesn't include the library, whose fault is that?
Not atrpms I'd say.

 > Why should I have to
> force an update to a newer non-atrpms package?

I have little sympathy for people that use --force or --nodeps without
knowing exactly what they are doing. This particular case is very
simple. The person is trying to use mplayer from atrpms, which requires
the atrpms xorg packages because the standard Fedora xorg packages do
not include everything needed (recall there have also been complaints
about xeyes etc. missing from the Fedora xorg packages). Where's the
problem here? If a subsequent upgrade of xorg is forced, and the updated
package doesn't include the "missing" library, the atrpms mplayer will
break. That's the fault of the person doing the --force, not atrpms.

> Heck, it has been months since I used atrpms and I still run into
> problems with some packages and updates.

If you've been using --force, I'm not terribly surprised to hear this.

Paul.