I come with praise

Ian MacGregor greatscot at zipcon.com
Fri Mar 11 10:15:04 UTC 2005

I recently had email conversations with the author of Password Manager
(http://passwordmanager.sourceforge.net/) and Dag Wieers and I would like to
say a few things.

When I came to Linux from Windows two years ago, I had no idea that I would be
so impressed and so driven to help total strangers. Since installing my very
first distro, Fedora Core 1, I have had very few problems with Linux and
Fedora. The problems I did have were quickly and easily solved with the help
of experienced folks who wanted only to help. I have also been impressed with
the type of people whom I have had the honour of working with. I have since
been involved with several F/OS software projects, including writing the
documentation for Password manager. The feeling of being needed and involved
is without description.

Red Hat has done a remarkable job with Fedora Core. Fedora Core is the first
operating system that I have found that appears to be written just for me.
The F/OS software authors are, in my opinion, extremely knowledgable and
helpful. I have recently learned how to build my own RPM's and I could not
have done it without the software authors' help and guidance.

Then, there is the matter of support. While Microsoft may have its tech
support, it pales in comparison to the FedoraForum. I came to fedoraforum,
not for help, but just to "browse" and I quickly realised that this forum was
extremely valuable. I can post a problem and have tons of good and
knowledgeable folks give help and advice.

The amazing thing is, none of these people get paid for what they do, as far
as I know. All of this has driven me to want to help others with
Linux-related things. Now I understand why these folks do what they do.

So, to the folks who create the distros and apps; to the folks who give help
and support all of whom ask nothing in return... there are no words to
express my gratitude to you. You all are amazing folks and I hope that I can
grow to your level someday.

Windows is a collection of software assembled for the sole purpose of
generating revenue for a corporation.
Linus is more than just an operating system; it is a community of people
helping people... can't put a price on that.

Now I understand why Linux exists... and why, in my opinion, it will become
the leading OS in the future.

-greatscot (aka Ian MacGregor)
An extremely happy camper