Preferred Method for Recompiling Apache on FC3? [Solved, I think]

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Fri Mar 11 19:17:08 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-03-11 at 12:38 -0600, Eric Vought wrote:
> OK, what I have done is rebuilt the RPM with the changes. I actually
> only need to change httpd-suexec, but it is built along with
> half-a-dozen other packages out of the httpd srpm. I took the time to
> set up a non-root RPM build environment as I will have to keep up with
> updates myself. (I hate compiling things as root- dangerous).
>
> In order to (hopefully) prevent auto-update, I changed the package
> release in the spec file to add "di" to the end. This seems to be enough
> to keep YUM from trying to mix the packages, but it still provides
> "httpd", so other package dependencies appear to be fine. Because of
> this, I had to install all of the rebuilt packages, not just the one I
> needed.

This won't stop yum replacing your packages when the next update of
httpd comes out though (it will have a higher version or release number
and will hence be "newer" than your package). You'll need exclude=httpd*
in your yum.conf (or .repo file(s)) to do that.

> I have a spec file patch. In fact, I have two. The first one is just the
> changes to make the suexec-docroot parameratizable at the top of the
> spec file. Previously, content_dir controlled *both* the Apache docroot
> and the suexec docroot. In my version, there is a separate parameter
> which defaults to content_dir. I also add the configured docroot to the
> httpd-suexec RPM package summary. The second diff has the suexec_docroot
> customized for my needs and changes the package release.
>
> It seems like my first patch might be generally useful. What do I do
> with it?

You could try raising it as an RFE in bugzilla.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>