SATA/Raid5 = EXT3-fs error

Darren darren at bcgroup.net
Fri Mar 11 20:08:19 UTC 2005

Hello,

I have a new FC3 box running with an Adaptec SATA RAID 2410SA. I am
using 3 WD Raptors in raid 5, with 1 spare. I initially had a problem
with Fedora loading the raid card driver which was resolved by disabling
Hyper-Threading in the Bios.

Anyways, the box had been running great for a week until now. Here's a
little snippet of the messages it had:

EXT3-fs error (device sda7) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted
scsi0 (0:0): rejecting I/O to offline device
Buffer I/O error on device sda2, logical block 360450
lost page write due to I/O error on sda2
EXT3-fs error (device sda7) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted
EXT3-fs error (device sda6) in ext3_setattr: Journal has aborted
scsi0 (0:0): rejecting I/O to offline device
Buffer I/O error on device sda5, logical block 1
Buffer I/O error on device sda5, logical block 2

etc. etc.

This seemed to happen around 4:01am (when cron.daily runs). The
partitions were in read only mode and I couldn't even execute a
"shutdown -r" without generating an Input/Output error.

Now, I'm a little confused on how to proceed. After a hard reboot the
box is working perfectly again.

Does this seem like bad drives? bad raid card?

Would Read/Write caching on the RAID card cause any problems? Currently
it's enabled.

Is there any sort of stress test I can run to attempt to duplicate this
problem?

I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

- Darren