Multiple DHCP'd addresses on one NIC

Aaron O'Hara ajeo at hungryforlife.org
Fri Mar 11 23:07:47 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-03 at 23:56 +0100, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Fr, den 11.03.2005 schrieb Aaron O'Hara um 23:26:
>
> > I have my firewall connected to my cable modem with one a single NIC.
> > (I have another NIC for my LAN).  My public NIC is set to DHCP an
> > address from my ISP.
> >
> > Is it possible with Fedora to setup multiple virtual adapters that have
> > unique MAC addresses (that I generate) that all DHCP an address from my
> > ISP?  This way, I'd have multiple public IPs bound to one physical
> > adapter.
>
> You really think the ISP would assign you several IPs this way? I don't
> believe that. At least it would be some kind of misuse.
>
> I suggest you ask your provider for official possibilities or rent a
> server with multiple public IPs in a computer center (rack center).
>
> Alexander

My ISP officially allows for multiple dynamic IPs on a single account
(Shaw in British Columbia, Canada).  It's an official option, but
currently requires 1 NIC per IP.  I already have 3 public IPs spread
over 3 machines.  I want to amalgamate them to one 'box' for centralized
firewall purposes.

Aaron