ukrainian encoding for mail

Jared Buck JBuck814366460 at aol.com
Fri Mar 11 23:34:23 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-03-11 at 14:42 -0600, Olga Urban wrote:
> I am receiving some mail in Ukrainian and some characters do not display
> correctly in the browser both in the subject line and in the body (I am
> running squirrel mail). If I open the message and then click on
> 'Forward', then the message gets completely garbled. I have to go to
> page properties and set the encoding. And even then some characters are
> not showing correctly.
>
> In Ximian Evolution, the body of the message appears correctly, but the
> subject line still has some characters that do not appear right.
>
> What do I have to look into to fix this problem: httpd.conf or
> squirrelmail configuration?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Olga

I have the same problem sometimes because I do quite a bit of emailing
in Russian.  I would assume you'd have to look in squirrelmail (I don't
use it, I use Evolution.

For Evolution, try looking in the Tools --> Settings box under Mail
Preferences.  In there's an option to change the standard font if you
uncheck the box there.  I'm only guessing, but it might allow you to set
the font encoding from there.  You can try that, others on the board may
know better than I do.

Jared