Multiple DHCP'd addresses on one NIC

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Fri Mar 11 23:43:57 UTC 2005

Am Sa, den 12.03.2005 schrieb Aaron O'Hara um 0:07:

> My ISP officially allows for multiple dynamic IPs on a single account
> (Shaw in British Columbia, Canada).  It's an official option, but
> currently requires 1 NIC per IP.  I already have 3 public IPs spread
> over 3 machines.  I want to amalgamate them to one 'box' for centralized
> firewall purposes.
>
> Aaron

Ok :) Then you won't make them angry if they detect what you do.
Untested, but you may try to use aliased devices, by multiplying the
existing eth0 device: copy the existing ifcfg-eth0 configuration file
for each aliased device, like

cp -a /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:0

Do so for ifcfg-eth0:1 and ifcfg-eth0:2. Edit the content of these files
as far as unique information is stored in there. Keep the HWADDR. Then a

service network restart eth0

should bring the devices up - if all goes well. Be aware that iptables
can not handle aliased device names (like eth0:0).

Alexander

Fedora Core 2 GNU/Linux on Athlon with kernel 2.6.10-1.770_FC2smp
Serendipity 00:26:17 up 2 days, 4:38, load average: 1.01, 1.01, 0.75