Changing fonts to dot-matrix printer through CUPS

fredex fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sat Mar 12 00:16:36 UTC 2005

On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 11:48:49AM -0500, Eric Wood wrote:
> I want to print to a Panasoic dot-matrix printer from the command line.  I
> think I can pass some -o option parameters to set margins, etc.   But what
> I want to do is have it render a slightly larger font.  The printer's
> built-in fonts are too small.
>
> Has anyone done this?  Or does anyone have and printing tip for dot matrix
> printers?
>
> -eric wood

If there were a way to do it, it would become horribly slow because
instead of sending a relatively compact stream of commands to the
printer, your text will be translataed, instead, into an extremely
verbose set of graphics drawing commands. In addition to being slow
to transmit because of its bulk, most dot matrix printers I've seen
print more slowly in graphics mode anyway.

You MIGHT be able to configure cups to use Ghostscript to re-render
the data before turning it back into printer commands, thereby
achieving the slow printer I describe above. But I don't really
know how you would set that up.

Have you looked thru the voluminous cups documentation?
                      The eyes of the Lord are everywhere,
                    keeping watch on the wicked and the good.