Updating FC3

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Mar 12 01:33:27 UTC 2005

Paul Howarth wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 19:17 -0800, Jared Buck wrote:
>
>>Alternatively, you may run a utility called "yum" from the console.  yum
>>is the utility that up2date uses (up2date is really just a GUI frontend
>>for yum).
>

> up2date is *not* just a frontend for yum. It is a completely separate
> program that happens to be able to access yum repositories as a data
> source. It can *also* access apt repositories, which yum cannot do.
>

>>Which service you use is up to you, it's a matter of personal
>>preference.
>

> That is certainly true.
>
> Paul.

Just to add noise. Yum on my system is currently down (rawhide), up2date
is working but up2date-gnome (rawhide) has some problems with the
selector. Up2date is a different program than yum, the frontend of
up2date may go bad, but up2date (non-gui) still works.
Up2date can deal with yum, apt or rhn repositories and does not depend
upon yum or apt for any of its functionality.

yum - a utility seperate from up2date
up2date - flexible but independent from other updating programs.

Now dependent libraries. That's another issue.

Jim

--
How many hardware guys does it take to change a light bulb?

"Well the diagnostics say it's fine buddy, so it's a software problem."