fedora-list Digest, Vol 13, Issue 42 - CDROM Mounting

Greg Viola gviola1 at comcast.net
Fri Mar 11 14:18:52 UTC 2005

Just for the record, I figured out what was wrong with this CD drive - I
re-installed it in an XP machine, and it works perfectly  - I am fairly
sure it must be an htfo-fl problem - I put a new CD/RW drive in the
linux box, works fine.

Also, the CDRoast problem turned out to be a type of problem most every
CD program in my system has with the CD drives - permissions issues -
the drives are always recognized fine when logged in as root, never as a
user.  Someone did suggest I change permissions in udev, but, being a 1
month old linux user, that looks too daunting and dangerous.  I'll try
that when I get a little more confident.  Seems weird that a workstation
OS would default to that..

Also, getting the second CD drive to be recognized was fairly simple -
it usually works better when the IDE cable is plugged into the back of
the drive <sigh>.