Updating FC3 using already downloaded files

Jim Cornette fc-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Mar 12 02:53:03 UTC 2005

paulo lino wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I've been using FC3 for a while and recently I've had to format my disk.
> Since every time I update my system I save the downloaded files to dvd
> is
> there a way to install these upgrades without having to download them
> from the Internet again? I know there is a way to update the
> distribution Cd's by rebuilding them but i wanted something easier than
> that like modifying the web server of "up2date" and instead of using the
> web to update the core it would get them on the dvd. Can you please help
> me?
>
> Best regards,
> Paulo Lino

If you want to use rpm itself to upgrade off of the DVD you would run
rpm -Fvh *.rpm
in the directory which your dvd-rw is mounted such as /media/dvdwriter.

If you want to use up2date to perform the upgrade, you would add an
entry into /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources to point to a local directory,
like the below example.

dir my-favorite-rpms /media/dvdwriter and any subdirectory which might
exist.

If you use the rpm method, you could use rpm -Uvh *.rpm if you have
additional rpms that were not installed from the installaton process.

If you use up2date, it will do similar to rpm -Fvh (Freshen) unless you
include rpms at the command line.

For yum, I believe you would need to run createrepo and include the
resulting information on the dvd that you created.

Jim

--
Build a system that even a fool can use and only a fool will want to use it.