FC2 cannot access networked printer

Richard Schmitt richard_schmitt at charter.net
Sat Mar 12 02:19:26 UTC 2005

Yesterday I installed a Netgear Print Server PS101 network connection on
my HP Laserjet IIIP. The two Windows computer on my LAN ( one running
WIN98SE, the other WINXPHome) can both print on the HP Laserjet. The
Linux FC2 desktop cannot.

The original installation of the Netgear Print Server installed a
permanent IP address and disabled DHCP. I changed that and enabled DHCP
but that made no difference.

In the network the "NETGEAR" network node (the printer) shows up but is
marked as accessible only to root. Its permissions are "read" and
nothing else and those permissions cannot be changed even if I log on as
"root"

I have googled this extensively but have not found any page that is
helpful.

testparm results:
[heschel at Winsoren heschel]$ testparm
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[heschel]"
Processing section "[p1]"
Loaded services file OK.
Invalid combination of parameters for service p1.   Level II oplocks can
only be set if oplocks are also set.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

# Global parameters
[global]