Redirect Grub or copy new boot

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Sat Mar 12 10:49:55 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-03-12 at 16:24 +0900, Mark Sargent wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> after not finding any solution for my previous FC2 install(couldn't load
> X system), I went ahead and did a fresh install of FC3 on to another
> partition. I didn't create another boot partition, as I was thinking I
> could either redirect grub to the boot dir for the new install or copy
> the dir/files onto the existing boot partition. Which way would you
> do/have done it..? Cheers.
>
> new install = /dev/hda5
> boot partition = /dev/hda9
> old install = /dev/hda12

I usually install with multiple partitions/logical volumes anyway.

I assume that your entire new installation went into /dev/hda5 and you
didn't tell the installer to re-use the existing /boot partition
in /dev/hda9?

You can configure your existing FC2 grub to chain-load the FC3 grub
from /dev/hda5, or you could copy the grub.conf kernel entries from your
FC3 install into your FC2 grub.conf. I would do the former rather than
the latter, because the latter would require you to repeat the operation
every time you upgraded the FC3 kernel.

If you post the output of "fdisk -l /dev/hda" and your FC2 grub.conf
file, you might get more specific help.

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>