Linux disc utility program

Paul paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Sat Mar 12 13:25:40 UTC 2005

Hi,

> Does anybody know anything about Linux disc utility
> programs ? My system with fc3 crashes often specially
> when it goes into standby mode. I want to check
> harddisk to see if there any problem, however I think
> it is more possible that the problem comes from RAM.

The hard drive is normally checked on boot up. What you can do to force
this is to just switch off and switch back on. When the system boots, it
will inform you of a premature shut down and ask if you want to check
the drive. Say yes then.

Are you running on a laptop and if you are, how old is it? If it is
older than (say) 2000, reboot and when it gives you the kernel version
to boot, press e to edit and add onto the end ACPI=off and see if this
cures the problem.

> am looking for any disk checking software like Norton
> Disc Doctor for Windows. Can anybody help ?

fsck will do a physical check on drives while memtest86 will do a memory
test (it can take ages though)

TTFN

Paul
--
"I like blinking me" - Helen, Big Brother 2 contestant