Very slow writes on samba-mounted drive

AragonX aragonx at dcsnow.com
Sat Mar 12 13:29:40 UTC 2005

<quote who="Matt Morgan">
> I have samba running on a small server at home; the same machine also
> runs an ftp server. The server is running FC3, mostly updated (kernel
> 2.6.10-1.741_FC3, samba 3.0.10-1.fc3).
>
> When I connect to this server from my desktop (also FC3, all updates
> current) via ftp, I can read and write files at the expected speed (I
> have a 100mbit/s LAN and I get about 50-70mbit/s, typically). When I
> read files on a mounted samba share, I can read them at a typically
> fast speed. However, when I write files on the samba connection, they
> go incredibly slowly (about 1 mbit/s).

Wow.  I had this problem many years ago.  I'm failry sure the problem for
me was with the way Samba was configured on the client machine.  I'm going
from memory so this may or may not be of some help for you.

Here are some of the configuration options I think I set:

OS level = 0
domain master = no
prefered master = no
domain logons = no
wins support = no

If that doesn't help, you may want to post your problem on the samba
support list.