CD driver reads causes error by reading too far ahead

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sat Mar 12 19:56:38 UTC 2005

| From: Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org>

| > 	cmp: /dev/hdd: Input/output error
|
| See:
| https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2005-January/msg00453.html
| and "man isosize" for workarounds.

Thanks, that thread is interesting and I had not seen it.  A screen
saver / ACPI was kicking in during a CD burn and causing a blip in
what was written.

It does not look to be the same as my problem.  My problem is that
somewhere in the driver stack a decision is being made to attempt to
read past the end of the content of the CD.  This is bad because (a) I
cannot seem to ask it not to happen and (b) it generates read errors
that prevent me seeing even the good part of the CD.

BTW, you MUA (Evolution) put a line break in the middle of the URL.
I've fixed it in my quote.  Is there a way to tell Evolution not to do
that?