phpMyAdmin installation problem

Donn Washburn n5xwb at hal-pc.org
Sat Mar 12 22:39:00 UTC 2005

a a wrote:
> I am new to linux and I never believed it could be this difficult to
> install an application
>
> my system: a fresh install of FC3 fully updated on a new intel desktop
>
> I am installing phpMyAdmin and I have extracted the files to
> /usr/phpMyAdmin-2.6.1-pl3/
>
> I have edited the config.inc.php according to the installation
> instructions and I have turned off zlib compression as stated in the
> troubleshooting FAQ. I even went to the phpMyAdmin help forum at
> sourceforge and read an UNSOLVED thread with my exact same problem
> http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1242004&forum_id=72909
>
> PROBLEM: logged in as root when I use my browser to look at
> http://localhost/usr/phpMyAdmin-2.6.1-pl3/index.php or
> http://localhost/phpMyAdmin I see a BLANK page
>
> logged in as another user I see a page of text output that I dont
> understand but I did check that it is NOT simply the file that is
> being echoed to the screen

Your problem lyes with Apache not with phpMyAdmin.  That is because
Apache is set to look only at it HOME.
If you set up phpMyAdmin in the HOME of apache then
"http://localhost/phpMyAdmin-2.6.1-pl3/index.php " might work".
I am assuming that you have phpMyAdmin and the apache php module
working also.

--
73 de Donn Washburn   Hpage: " http://www.hal-pc.org/~n5xwb "
Ham Callsign N5XWB   Email:  " n5xwb at hal-pc.org "