Problems with rpm database

Carl Reynolds fedora-list at hyperbole-software.com
Sun Mar 13 02:18:05 UTC 2005

Axel,

As you stated in your last e-mail in this thread that probably apt
wouldn't work for the set up I'm trying to do because it has i386, i686,
and x86_64 architecture packages, I decided to re-install Fedora and
start over using up2date.

Since the installation instructions you have at
http://atrpms.net/install.html do not tell how to use up2date, I thought
I would write a small instruction set on that

up2date is actually a python wrapper that uses yum or apt to manage
packages. To add the atprms repository to the up2date set up, edit
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources and add one of the following lines
    yum atrpms-stable http://apt.atrpms.net/fedora/3/en/$ARCH/at-stable
    apt atrpms-stable http:apt.atrpms.net/ fedora/3/en/$ARCH/at-stable
ATrpms

Since up2date can use either apt or yum, choose one of the above. The
yum or apt at the start of the line tells up2date which one to use. This
is followed by the channel name. This is the name you will use to
identify the repository to up2date and can be whatever you choose. I
chose atrpms-stable. Next the yum line contains the URL to reach the
repository. The apt line has two fields separated by a space. The first
field is the domain name of the repository and the second is the path to
get to the repository. Finally on the apt line is the name of the
repository. I didn't know what this is supposed to be so I made it
ATrpms. As an apt user, you might have a better idea what to make this
field.

Once you have made this change to the source file, up2date is ready to
start updating and downloading files from the new repository.

   up2date -u
finished with 88 unresolved dependency chains. I was able to reduce this
down to about 50 by updating each package individually. Most of the
problems were with python(abi), glibc and libxml2. I was getting a
message 'conflict between attempted installs of glibc-2.3.4-2.fc3 and
glibc-2.3.4-2.fc3'

I finally took the fedora.redhat repositories out of up2dates sources
files and added http://apt.sw.be/fedora/3/en/$ARCH/dag/. This got rid of
the conflicts.

Next
    up2date -u pythonabi
got rid of the errors about requiring python(abi) = 2.3

   up2date -u
installed everything except rpm which
    required nptl-devel.

up2date could not find nptl-devel on either atrpms or dag so I went to
rpmfind.net and located  a copy at
http://rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/core/3/x86_64/os/Fedora/RPMS/nptl-devel-2.3.3-74.x86_64.rpm.

I downloaded this file and ran
    rpm -i ./nptl-devel-2.3.3-74.x86_64.rpm

after that loaded, I was able to update rpm.

Next I restored the fedora.redhat.com repositories to
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources and once again ran
    up2date -u

this updated
    NetworkManager
    at
    bind-libs
    bind-utils
    glibc
    glibc-common
    glibc-devel
    glibc-header
    mysql
    nptl-devel

Having only just started to use up2date, I'm not any kind of an expert,
but I wonder if there isn't a conflict between some of the packages on
your site and on fedora.redhat.com.Also it seems to me that there are
some packages on you site and the dag site that are missing, behind or
out of date like nptl-devel, and glibc.

I hope this will help.

Thank you very much for the help you gave me both through this mailing
list and through the information on your web site in solving this problem.

Carl.