forgot to mount /home during installation

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Sun Mar 13 03:42:50 UTC 2005

Christopher J. Bottaro wrote:

>Cool, that worked perfectly.  I have no idea why it worked, but it did...=)
>Hehe, I'm just a little mystified as to why I didn't have to specify a
>device...or why not device was specified for / and /boot.
>
>Thanks.

I bet that for / and /boot , you had something like
LABEL=/         /           ext3  defaults 1 2
(or something like that.. I'm doing this from my memory).. During boot
up (and other mount requests) , if a device is
reffered to as LABEL=something in /etc/fstab , the system automatically
tries to map the label to the corresponding device.. If the label exists,
the device is mounted.. If it doesnt , you end up with a big bad
error... Something very handy if you for some reason need to change the
disk to another controller , for example...

--
Pedro Macedo