Linking Wired and Wireless network...

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Sun Mar 13 06:11:17 UTC 2005

I'm looking for some info that will allow better support for my
students.

My College currently has been using a single T-1 line for the past 5
years, and this provides access to the whole campus including 8
labs in my building. The MIS department has recently added 3
Wireless access points that are each connected to separate DSL
lines. No interconection between any of these. The President
wanted campus wide wireless access, so MIS did this. Solves
Presidents objective, but nothing for the classrooms.

I did a test after purchasing my own wireless card. In downloading
the same file from the same remote site with a wired and wireless
machine. The wireless machine got 40K per second, while the wired
machine got 8K per second.

The campus is setup by MIS with 4 Class C networks running on a
single physical network (no subnets, no routing.) Only router is the
one that connects to the T-1 line, and it has a 10MB ethernet
interface. Three of the 4 networks are in the dhcpd pool, so I end up
with classroom have a mix of all 3 networks. Without added routing
entries, traffic would have to go thru the 10MB rounter instead of
directly.

So, working with MIS isn't an option at this point. I was thinking of
adding a wireless card to my fedora machine which also runs a
squid proxy server used by my lab.

Is there something that would help this, or am I wasting my time..

Thanks.

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu
Number of Seti Units Returned:  15,861
Processing time:  30 years, 128 days,  7 hours, 27 minutes
(Total Hours: 265,879)